Crimes of GHB in Ontario, California: Possession, Sale and Trafficking
GHB is a drug that has been used by people in Ontario, California County for many years. GHB, also known as gamma-hydroxybutyrate, was first manufactured by the pharmaceutical company G.D. Searle & Company back in 1960s and 1970s to help treat narcolepsy and other sleep disorders. However, GHB became popular among bodybuilders due to its ability to stimulate growth hormone production after being banned from sale in 1990s GHB is now classified as a Schedule I Controlled Substance under the California Health & Safety Code Section 11056 H&S code section 11100(b)(1) because it’s highly addictive with severe side effects including nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness or drows.
What is GHB?
GHB is also known as GHV, cherry meth, scoop, grievous bodily harm (GBH), Georgia home boy or girl GHB. GHB looks like water and has no odor or color, making it very difficult to detect when mixed with other drinks at parties. It can cause death in high doses for some people due to respiratory depression.
Crime of possession of GHB
If people illegally possess GHB and know that the substance is GHB then those individuals can be charged with a crime, in California possession of GHB is known as being unlawfully in control of possession of a prohibited substance or drug.
If convicted of unlawful control of GHB, individuals can face up to six months in county jail and pay a fine between $500-$1000 Crime of Selling or Delivering GHB.
Felony Possession of GHB
Possession of GHB is defined Statutes Section 893.13 as a third-degree felony, which is punishable by up to five years in prison. Possession of GHB can be charged as a misdemeanor or felony drug carrying offense:
The charges depend on the amount of GHB involved and whether someone was selling GHB to another person. If you have been charged with unlawful delivery of GHB, possession of GHB with the intent to sell, selling GHB or trafficking GHB, then contact our Ontario, California GHB Possession Criminal Defense Attorney for a free case evaluation.
If convicted of unlawful delivery or sale of sodium oxybate (GH), the defendant could face up to three years in county jail and pay a fine of between $1000-$2000
Penalties for Possessing GHB
The unlawful manufacture, sale, or distribution of GHB is classified as a third-degree felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of:
- Five (5) years in prison is the maximum penalty.
- Five years of probation was ordered.
- A $5,000 penalty
- Under Section 322.055 of the Statutes, people convicted of these crimes may lose their driver’s license for less than a year.
Selling or Delivering GHB
The offense of sale or delivery of gamma-butyrolactone is codified in section 893.13(1)(a)(1) of the Statutes. It specifies that it is a felony to sell, deliver, or furnish any amount of GHB.
Punishment and penalties for sale or delivery of GHB
Possession or sale of GHB is a felony of the second degree, punishable by a fine of up to $10,000 and/or imprisonment for up to 15 years.
- Fifteen (15) years imprisonment
- Fifteen (15) years probation
- A fine of ten thousand dollars ($10,000).
- Burglary is a felony in Ontario, punishable by up to five years in prison and a $5,000 fine. Under the state’s Code of Criminal Penalties, it is designated as a “Level 5” felony, meaning that a judge has broad discretion to punish offenders.
- In addition, Section 322.055 prohibits persons convicted of selling or delivering GHB from obtaining a driver’s license or driving privileges for six (6) months.
- Section 893.11 provides that a person convicted of selling or delivering GHB shall have any state-issued professional license to practice a trade or profession revoked.
Trafficking in GHB
Trafficking is the most serious type of GHB offense. This violation is defined in Section 893.135 and occurs when a person knowingly buys, sells, possesses, possesses, makes, delivers, or transports one (1) kilogram or more of GHB or combination
Between one and five kilograms of GHB may result in a fine.
- Penalties for between one and five kilograms of GHB
- A minimum sentence of three years
- A maximum sentence of thirty years
- A fifty thousand dollar fine.
California County GHB Crime Defense Attorney
Our California, Ontario Attorneys have many years of experience defending misdemeanor and felony GHB crimes including unlawful possession of sodium oxybate, GHB transportation and GHB possesion. We can help you receive the best outcome possible